On November 18 I’ll be flying down to Atlanta and then hopping on a 9:50pm red eye to Rio de Janeiro with my friend and travel partner in crime, Sylvie. It snowed in NYC yesterday so being on the beach in Brazil couldn’t sound more inviting!
Since the trip is getting closer and closer, I’m starting to scratch off the to-do list items. I naturally looked at my old Pack/To-Do list from China for a refresher on some of the line items….and have managed to bring myself back to blogging on here . The trip to Rio will be my first real vacation since founding my company a year and a half ago so I’m really excited about it (and slightly terrified to unplug for so long. deep breaths.). It’s not a long-term trip like my backpacking trips in Europe or Southeast Asia or like the Beijing Olympics program but it’s still 10 days and in a country that requires a visa and shots. As I’m getting ready for it, I figured I’d write up my to-do list for my own sake and whoever else it may also help. I’ll be updating this post as the countdown continues. If you have any tips, please share them!
- Depart LGA on Friday, November 18; long layover in ATL; arrive Rio Saturday, November 19 in the a.m.
- Saturday, November 19 - Tuesday, November 22: Hostel Copacabana Suites (Hostel Copacabana Suites, Santa Clara Nº 304, Rio de Janeiro – Brasil, Brasil)
- Tuesday, November 22 – Friday, November 25: Trip to the Amazon
- Friday, November 25 – Monday, November 28 - Last 3 nights in Rio at the Best Western Sol Ipanema Hotel RIGHT ON THE BEACH!
- Booked plane tickets, hostel and hotel
- Got shots for Typhoid, Meningococcal and Yellow Fever
- Got pills for Malaria (most of these are suggested for the Amazon)
- Registered trip with U.S. Department of State
- Got Portuguese phrasebook
- Applied for visa
- Pick up visa from Brazil Embassy
- Get insurance for laptop and electronics from http://www.safeware.com/
- Book trip to Amazon
- Call credit card companies to let them know about the trip
- Make copies of all important documents
- Back-up laptop on external hard drive
- Download photos on all SD cards to start with a clean slate
- Check if what my insurance covers; need travel insurance?
On the Docket in Rio:
- BEACH (Ipanema and Copacabana area)
- Leica Camera Store
- Possibly Tijuca Forest – Hang Gliding?!
- Normal touristy stuff:
- Sugar Loaf Mountain
- MAM museum
- Dancing in Lapa
- Dinner at one of the sushi places in the nice area of Leblon
- Something else?